View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Foooooooooooooooore, I mean Hello 
On The Fairway

Post Foooooooooooooooore, I mean Hello
Hi I came across your forum on MySpace so I decided to join. I'm not someone you would call a regular golfer. I golf around 10-15 rounds a year and I've been golfing for about 5 years. Even though I don't golf as much as the rest of you do I probably enjoy it just as much. I hope to get some tips from you pros to help me in my game.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Site Admin

Hi and Welcome to the forum Fore,

We're glad you joined our new golf forum and hope you'll visit often. Be sure to tell your friends too. I'm not a pro, just an average golfer like yourself who loves the game. Hopefully you'll still find those tips you seek as you read through the articles and posts of others as time goes on and more people join the forum.

On a side note:

If you were wondering on where the golf term fore came from...

It is Scottish in origin and is a shortened version of before or afore. It's an old Scottish warning meaning "look out ahead" most likely originating in the military, where it was used by artillery men as a warning to troops in foreward positions. As early as the 18th century golfers simply adopted this military warning for use on the links.

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
On The Fairway

Hi Fore, welcome! I have certainly had to yell "Fooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrre" a few times in my golf career :oops:

Andrew, thanks for the history behind the term.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:59 pm
On The Fairway

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm sorry i haven't had the time to come here since I last visited. I never would have thought that "FORE" came from the military. I can understand why golfers adopted the term as I have come close to killing people with my shots on the golf course.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]