View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Help Section - Find Answers - Post Your Questions Here 
Site Admin

Post Help Section - Find Answers - Post Your Questions Here
I thought I'd start a help section for people that are new to phpBB bulletin boards. If you are having trouble with anything post your questions or problems here. As member issues arise and questions are asked I'll post answers here. There is also a general FAQ list/answers in the main menu at the top.

(1) Registration:

- Yes it's FREE to register
- Choose a username and password (Be sure to create a hard to guess password using letters and numbers)
- Be sure to enter the Security image letters/numbers correctly.
- Only one account per person is allowed.

(2) BBcode:
HTML is disabled on our bulletin board for security purposes. BBcode is used when posting and is similar to html...
Click Here for a BBcode Tutorial

(3) Posting Images:

How to post images is in the BBcode tutorial but I thought I'd post it separate as well. In the posting editor if you click Img once [img]-and-twice-[/img] you'll get start and end tags for posting images. Paste the image URL in the middle of the tags.

[img]PASTE-YOUR-IMAGE-URL-HERE[/img]

Some good FREE image hosting websites are:

http://photobucket.com
http://imageshack.us
http://flickr.com

Make sure you resize your images so they are not too big. (about 400 pixels max. width and 600 pixels max. height should do) The above sites will auto resize.

You may also want to try out this FREE photo editing software:

http://irfanview.com

The other BBcodes work in the same way as the img tags. They all have start and end tags.

(4) Posting YouTube Videos and eBay auctions:

With the forum upgrade I added the ability to embed YouTube videos in posts. I created a Golf Videos section where you can find instructions on how to post Golf Videos or find golf videos to watch. Note: Some people with IE browsers may have trouble viewing embedded videos. Firefox browser is recommended.

I have also created a section for members to post their eBay auctions for golf items or find other golf auction items. Instructions on how to post your eBay auction can be found in the eBay Golf Auctions Section.

(5) Using the Google Maps:

With the upgrade to the forum I am going to be embedding Google Maps in each of the Golf Course threads which will pin point the location of the golf course which you will be able to get directions to the Golf Course from your location (click the place marker and enter your address), zoom in or out, or even check out a satellite image view of the Golf Course. Some Google maps may only show the location of the town closest to the golf course until the golf courses are marked.

Here are some screen shots with an example of how the Google maps can be used:

When you are in the golf course thread, the Google map will have the location of the golf course...

If you click the place marker, you'll then be able to enter your address to get directions to the golf course...

Google maps will then map out directions from your address to the golf course...

Google maps will also have specific directions you can also use to help with your travel to the golf course...

For fun you may also click on the "satellite" button on the map to get a satellite image view...

(6) Reporting Posts:

If you come across any offensive posts, or posts that break any of the Manitoba Golf Forum Rules, please report them by clicking the report button Image at the bottom of the offending post. This will help administrators keep Manitoba Golf Forum a fun community for all members.

I will add to this help section when needed. If you have any questions or need help with anything please feel free to post in here.

Last edited by ForumAdmin on Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Spam bots have been registering usernames just to get their website in the memberlist so I have been deleting usernames that didn't have any posts. I'm working on adding some mods to prevent this in the future.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Spam bots have been registering usernames just to get their website in the memberlist so I have been deleting usernames that didn't have any posts. I'm working on adding some mods to prevent this in the future.

I've modified the registration page to help combat spam. I added a security question and removed the profile/website fields so spambots can't fill them in automatically.

You can still add your profile info and website URL in your profile after you click the confirm link in your email and log in.

I'm going to see how this works over the next week to see if I'll have to do anything more.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Google Maps
You'll notice in the golf course forums that some will have a Google Maps link. If you click the link it will show the location of the golf course or the town. If you click on "Get Directions" on the map and enter your address...ie: 123 My Street, Winnipeg, MB it will give you complete driving directions from your place which you can print up for your trip.

For fun you may also want to click on satelite view and zoom in to get a birds eye view of your golf course or perhaps enter your address to get a view of your place.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Help Section - Find Answers - Post Your Questions Here
I have upgraded the forum as mentioned in another post. With the upgrade I have added the ability to embed YouTube Videos, add eBay Auctions and I'll be embedding Google Maps into all of the golf course threads. I have added to the main post above with more info on each and instructions.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]