View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Memberships/Coupon-books/Tournaments: Finding cheap golf? 
Teeing Off

Post Memberships/Coupon-books/Tournaments: Finding cheap golf?
Hey,

Golf season is nearly upon us, and it's got my friends talking about memberships and golf vacations.

I am wondering, what is the best way to get the cheapest golf out there?

Our membership talk got me doing some research.

[Memberships in the city]

The cheapest membership to anywhere in the city, seems to be $1100 at Blumberg. I believe Tuxedo is roughly around the same, but am not sure of this years pricing.

You can for the most part golf 5 months of the year. May-Sep. That's 20 weeks.

At an average of $30-35 a round for those 2 golf courses, you'd have to play 32-37 times to BREAK EVEN. For you to save a decent amount of money you're looking at 50 times. That's every Saturday and every Sunday for those 5 months, plus an additional 20 9's after work to make 50. Then you're looking at about a 25-30% savings on each round you played.

For the full time working individual, who also takes vacations elsewhere in the province for 2-3 weeks, it's not a realistic way to save money. Actually, its a very realistic way to lose money.

To save 25% on a round, you're better off finding a buy 3 green fees, get one free coupon with your friends.

[Memberships outside the city]

This got me looking outside the city.

The two cheapest I could find were Cottonwood for $550, and Scotswood in Elm Creek for $430. Both are close to the city, within an hour or so.

At $430, you only have to golf 15 times to break even. If you make it out 30 times a year which is every saturday and sunday minus 3 weeks vacation, you save 50% a round. That's $15 golf. Not bad. But once again, it's a drive out there and back every day you want to golf.

[Tournaments]

After researching the memberships and how it isn't really the way to go when wanting to golf 'cheap' it got me thinking maybe tournaments were.

I've played 2 tournaments the last 2 years. 2 years ago in Devils Lake, and last year in Neepawa. Both are on September long weekend.

Me and 2 others went to Devils Lake and all had a bad experience. Instead of entering your handicap it was qualifier. I shoot low to mid 90's. In the qualifier I had 102 I think. Ouch. The first day I played a local, who golf the course 100 times a year, usually 4-5 days a week, and often shoots in the 70's. But because he shot a 96 in the qualifier, he was in the last flight.

The Neepawa one last year during September long on the other hand was great. I think its called the rose bowl and I believe it was $80 and you get 2-3 rounds of golf, depending on if you win the 2nd, and a steak dinner. At worst its $40 for a round (average for neepawa on a weekend), but you also get a free steak dinner. At best, if you make all 3 rounds, its $27 a round and the dinner. And usually someone you're playing against either owns a cart or has rented one already. I didn't rent a cart at all last year, but always rode in one. Just bought some drinks for the driver.

Problem is, I don't know of any other tournaments throughout the summer in Manitoba like this?

Does anyone know any good tournaments (likely match play) around Manitoba in the summer? I'd be interested in playing some with some friends this year.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:53 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Memberships/Coupon-books/Tournaments: Finding cheap golf
The cheapest is Fantasy Lake Golf Course and it's just a few km east of Winnipeg, but it's a Par 3 golf course.

2011 Fantasy Lake Golf Course Membership
Single Memberships

Adult Unlimited - $389.99

Adult Restricted: - $299.99
(Monday to Friday)

Senior Unlimited - $339.99
(60 Plus)

Senior Restricted - $249.99
(60 Plus - Monday to Friday)

Junior Unlimited: - $210.99

Family Memberships

Two Member Pass - $524.99

Three Member Pass - $588.99

Four Member Pass - $703.99

Five Member Pass - $774.99

Range Membership
$199.99

Range memberships coupled with any single memberships are only $99.99

All prices are subject to taxes.

But, memberships kind of hold you to one golf course and keep you from exploring all of Manitoba's golf courses and that's where coupon books like Tee-Off can come in handy or the Winnipeg Free Press golf guides.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Memberships/Coupon-books/Tournaments: Finding cheap golf
I posted a list of tournaments in the Golf Tournaments in Manitoba section though I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]