View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What makes a golf course "women-friendly"? 
Teeing Off

Post What makes a golf course "women-friendly"?
Hi buddy.
Looking for your opinions ...
I am heading to Arizona to review 4 golf courses in about a week (haven't chosen them all yet - have a list of 10 from which to choose). The reviews are for a women's golf magazine: "Fore Her Magazine". So one of the criteria I want to use to rate the courses is "how women friendly it is".

Now that's a big question. For me, there are about 6-18 things I look for in a golf course, but I'd love to hear from both the ladies and men on this forum on what you think makes a course women friendly.

To get it started, here's one of mine.

Position of the forward tees.

Now I realize forward tees are about skill level and not about gender, but 95% of the women I know play from them and 0% of the guys do (except our son when he was 12), so let's just forget the political correctness for a minute and call them "the ladies tees" for now.

In my opinion (and I could be wrong, heaven forbid), but I believe the ladies tees should be placed so that when she tees off, her ball should land roughly in the same area where the guys' balls are on the fairway. There is nothing worse than being last off the tee and first off the fairway on the 2nd shot. The courses I've played that received the GFW award had tee positions that seemed "fair" to me - ie. met the criteria I just mentioned. Those courses were fun to play because after the tee shot, it was a level playing field with the guys.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:58 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: What makes a golf course "women-friendly"?
I never really thought of golf courses in terms of "women friendly" or not and not just because I'm a guy. Some women may want to play the forward tees and some may not. I guess it all depends on their skill level. So you may have a point about hitting it off the forward tee and the golf ball landing in roughly the same area as when the guys hit it off the back tees. Although there are women who can hit equally well as the boys from the back tees.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]