View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 6:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Fighting in NHL or hockey in general 
Birdie Member

Post Fighting in NHL or hockey in general
With some injuries occuring in the NHL recently there has been some talk about possibly getting rid of fighting in the game. I'm not sure how well that will go over with most NHL fans. I know there are many for and against fighting but ultimately I think it's the players who should decide. Most players, even Gretzky himself, have said fighting is an important part of the game. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Unless someone gets killed in a fight. Then I guess you ask yourself does it have to get to that?

What would happen if fighting was completely banned from hockey?

Would it be safer? more dangerous?

Would it bring in new fans? get rid of older fans?

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:09 pm
Site Admin

I really don't see them getting rid of fighting. The players don't want to to go and ultimately they are the ones that play against and fight eachother. If someone does end up getting killed you'll probably see something happen. As it is right now, I don't see fighting going anywhere.

But you never know what could happen. The NHL has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years. They have been tinkering with it almost every year to make it more appealing for the US.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
On The Fairway

I don't see fighting ever being taken out of the NHL but they have to do something about the sucker punches which I think they have been doing.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:53 pm
Birdie Member

It seems that when a fight happens and no one gets injured all is well in hockey land. When an injury happens all hell breaks loose and talk about banning fighting takes off. They started bringing in the Bertuzzi, McSorley and Simon incidents when those were all cheap shots and had nothing to do with fighting.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]